Friday 16 November 2012

Jab Tak Hai Jaan The Badshah Is Back

Director  Yash Chopra

Cast   Shahrukh Khan, Katrina Kaif, Anushka Sharma, Sharib Hashmi, Neetu Singh, Rishi kapoor, Sarika

My Rating 3.5/5



I have seen every single of Yash Chopra's films. I am sure most of you have too. So I will watch this one was a foregone conclusion the day it was announced. And it also marked Shahrukh's return to romance. Who would want to miss that, not me! Paired with Katrina Kaif (Bhai's ex!!!) and Anushka Sharma, half his age... interesting.

So there I was, still in a Diwali Hangover, and a very bad taste of Son Of Sardar in the mouth, praying for Jab Tak Hai Jaan to work for me. I needed a good old Bollywood dose of dreams, love, music, destiny and a Hero who can make illogical seem so logical.

Shahrukh Khan returns and with a Bang, no, literally!

Samar Anand, in his salt-pepper stubble, riding a bike through breathtaking Ladakh, looking better than ever before... And the tone was set as I relaxed and let this Yash Chopra swan song take me to another world. A world where if you are a believer, nothing is impossible.

The story of a Man who can not Die... who lives one life in London wooing Meera (Katrina Kaif) with his Chhalla... Another defusing bombs in India... where Akira (Anushka) falls head over heels in love with the brooding, rarely smiling army man he has become... Will true love join Samar with his Meera, or it is time for him to move on and go to the waiting arms of a young girl who will never settle for anything less than "his kind of love".



The film is not for cynics, because love has its own crazy ways... You would know what I am talking about if you have been in love... or are looking for it...

Shahrukh has given one of his most lovable performances, he becomes Samar so effortlessly, controlled, mature.

The girls, specially Katrina let our Hero down. She looks gorgeous as always but even Yash Chopra couldn't put life into her lines or put some crackle in the romantic scenes, even the touted kiss seems so platonic.



Anushka is by now very predictable in her act, but she definitely has the zing thing. Hot and extremely toned body, and the effervescence of youth.

So finally it is Shahrukh holding it together all the way.

The music is surprisingly bearable on the big screen, because I didn't care much about this A.R Rahman soundtrack.

Where he does totally impress me is the background score. Really super work.

Another laudable person is Anil Mehta, the D.O.P who has captured the film through his lens with great finesse.



The length of the film is something that might trouble some of you. For me the only disappintment was the tame ending. Yes, if you are the one to nitpic, you can find some other points too. No spoiler policy prohibits me from saying anything more!

I would say go watch it, with your spouse, girlfriend, boyfriend... and those of you who don't have one... GO FIND!!!

1 comment: